Sunday, February 4, 2024

World Cancer Day 2024

 

This day is for those who’s lives have been touched by cancer.  Unfortunately, all of us know at least one person affected by this beast.  Currently, there is not enough research being conducted on all cancers, and inequities in cancer diagnosis, care, and survivorship are growing.  

Cancer rates are increasing in young people-in fact, this week I read that colon cancer is on the rise in young adults in the United States! More research means more knowledge about cancer prevention, treatment, and survivorship.  The figure below lists ways that we can reduce the chances of cancer.  

I’m going to be honest. When I interpret this table, the I see myself saying “I don’t smoke, my weight is ok, I don’t drink much, I use sunscreen…”. I wish I had the answers as to why some people (unfortunately) go through cancer, and others don’t.  However, having gone through cancer, I do my best to prevent what I can from getting it again.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Nicole for helping other people who have or have had this terrible disease. We are proud of you 💖

    ReplyDelete

2023 State of Survivorship Survey and What it Means for the Future of Survivorship

 It has been awhile! The two sports that my kids take part in have been crazy busy.  Models 2 and 3 have had swim practices and meets...Mode...