Sunday, April 23, 2023

Patient Advocacy

 According to the National Patient Advocacy Foundation (https://www.npaf.org), patient advocacy can involve an individual or group of people.  Patient advocates believe that health care should be equitable for everyone.  They advocate for patients, survivors, and caregivers.  They can be a powerful force for change.

A couple of months ago, the Senior Director of Patient Advocacy at Genmab had contacted CEO Shelley Fuld Nasso, from the National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship (https://canceradvocacy.org) inquiring about endometrial cancer survivors for Genmab's Patient Advocacy Council.  Surprisingly (and I use that word because I still can't believe that she recommended me), I was mentioned as a possible candidate for their Patient Advocacy Council.  After sharing my cancer experience with the senior director, he offered me a spot on their council.  

Five years ago, I never would have pictured myself participating in these opportunities to educate and help other people going through a gynecologic cancer.  I am a little outside of my comfort zone, but I am very excited to share what is pertinent to cancer patient care, as well as learn about clinical trials and what could be possible for the future in survivorship.




No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 State of Survivorship Survey and What it Means for the Future of Survivorship

 It has been awhile! The two sports that my kids take part in have been crazy busy.  Models 2 and 3 have had swim practices and meets...Mode...